Sunday, November 20, 2011

How important is it in children's books to start with a "hook"? Is it really necessary to present a problem or crisis at the beginning?

During a recent subbing assignment, I have the class assembled on the carpet for a read-aloud. The story begins with the promise of something fun that is going to happen. The fun thing is described, and plans are made to do this fun thing. Nothing much has actually happened yet.

By now we are to the middle of the book, and I have not been able to keep their attention, even though I have used my best dramatic voice and have interspersed comments and questions designed to help them relate to the story. I stop and put the book in my lap several times until the group is quiet.

Then, at the mid-point in the book, suddenly something happens that threatens to wreck everything. Instantly I have their complete attention. Everyone is worried and wonders what will happen--it is written on their faces. They are the perfect audience for the rest of the book, and interact appropriately with my questions to them.

Amazing. As soon as there is ACTION and a CRISIS, they are completely engaged. Until that moment, they are not all that interested. Too bad the action hadn't started sooner.

The reader needs to care about what happens to the main character: how is she going to deal with this problem? What will happen if the problem can't be fixed? Great dialogue and great description will not hold the reader's attention for long, unless the author has created tension in the story.

No comments: